Home | Capabilities | Overhaul and Repair Procedures
QRS Standard Overhaul and
Repair Procedures and Practices
QRS General Mechanical Repair Specifications
1. All speed reducers or assemblies will be:
- Completely disassembled.
- Hot Tank Stripped.
- Cleaned, wire brushed of all rust and grease.
- Inspected and/or tested as follows:
- Measure all "fits" and compare with original
drawing dimensions. Provide photographs and/or sketches for assembly.
- Cases, housings, etc. - will be visually inspected for cracks
and other signs of wear.
- Shafts & Gearing - visually inspect and dimensionally
checked, for possible reuse.
2. A detailed line by line quotation of all work required to
recondition the assembly/speed reducer will be prepared and
- Listing of any new parts required.
- Summary of required procedures to return reusable parts
to print specification.
- Summary of price for labor and all materials to complete
3. You must approve repair prior to any work proceeding.
- QRS will give a one-year warranty when we have replaced
all parts, bearings, and seals as recommended in our quote.
- If the job is not awarded to QRS, compensation for disassembly
labor, cleaning, inspection, and freight will be made to Quality
Reducer Service, Inc.
- All fits will be returned to original size and relative
centers using either; plating, sleeving and/or welding and machining
as approved by the customer.
- Repair may be made by plating and grinding, or machining
- Will be straight and finished in accordance with tolerances
and finish specifications as indicated on appropriate drawings.
- New shafting provided will match the specifications and
dimensions of the original part as per customer print.
- Exposed threads, shaft ends and couplings will be protected
with an anti-rust protection coating prior to shipping your Gear
- Will be dimensionally inspected to customer prints, manufacturers'
prints, or reverse engineered. See attached literature from our
gear manufacturing facility, Circle Gear, Inc.
- New gearing provided will meet or exceed the specifications
and dimensions of the original parts as per customer print.
- QRS has a direct affiliation with Circle Gear and Machine
4. Cases, Housing, etc.
- Fits - All fits will be returned to original size and relative
centers using either; sleeving and/or welding and machining as
approved by the customer
- All bolts, studs, pipe plugs, and other fittings will be
removed and the holes re-tapped as necessary.
- Bolts, studs, and pipe fittings may be reused if in good
- Replacement bolts, studs, and pipe fittings will be of equivalent
grade and material unless otherwise specified.
- Customer must approve any print modifications prior to implementation.
5. Assembly and Test Procedures
- All seals, shims, and gaskets will be replaced
- All bearings will be replaced.
- All hardware will be reused or replaced depending upon condition.
- All repaired and overhauled units will be run tested to
check contact patterns, clearances, backlash, and freedom of movement.
- When pressure lubricated units are involved, QRS will
pressure test the unit when applicable.
6. Painting and Identification
- All speed reducers will have:
- Exterior surfaces cleaned of all
loose scale and rust.
- Entire Housing surfaces cleaned of all dirt and
- One coat of light blue enamel
applied on the exterior, unless otherwise specified by the customer.
- A new identification tag will be installed to each overhauled
speed reducer with the following information:
- Date overhauled
- Our job number
- Your purchase order number
- All openings are properly protected with
plugs or cover.
- All units are shipped dry from QRS The unit shall be
marked to indicate that lubricant must be added prior to operation.
Run Test Procedure
- Firmly mount gearbox to be tested to run test stand.
the unit with QRS Company run test lubricant.
- Attach the
oil pumping station to the unit if required.
- Hook up all run
- Check and document temperature.
- Start test motor and set variable
RPM to the gearbox requirements.
- Attach gearbox to test motor
and record decibel reading during run test.
- Check all sealed
areas for any oil leakage.
- Gearbox bearing temperature will
be checked and documented at several intervals during testing.
and other nondestructive testing per customer requirements